Friday, June 19, 2009

Black Swan

Tucked in behind the suburb of Yarralumla, on the western side of Lake Burley Griffin is Weston Park. While cruising around its expansive and beautifully mellow surrounds at twilight I came across a group of black swans. Worried they would scuttle off as I approached them, I was surprised to find them curious and gregarious. And though not diabolical or history changing in any way, my discovery of them did fit the first criteria of Black Swan Theory, which is that an event is a surprise.

8 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

Twilight is such a magic time for photographs and I adore swans. Lovely

FSS said...

Beautiful shot! But.. this can't be Canberra!! It's WA!! :)

Fiona said...

fss - we were driving near there last saturday when we got lost on the way to the book shop - i wanted to check it out some more!

joan - the light at that time always seems to make for lovely pictures, no matter what the subject. thank you. it was so hard to get a nice shot - they wouldn't keep still!

Julie said...

It is their necks for me: that glorious curve yet with such strength and the ever-present threat of violence!

The light and the bare branches in the background is very painting-like, Fiona.

Fiona said...

Julie - yes! I admit I was a little wary of them as they came closer, but they seemed more interested in foraging for food than attacking me in the end. I really like the light too - it didn't look as good on my phone and I was worried I'd wasted my time completely!

Amanda Yno said...

Never knew that there are black swans.

Fiona said...

I think they're pretty much an Australian phenomenon only Amanda, but I might be wrong.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful soft pastel sky. Lovely.