Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dare to Dance!

Anyone who has lived in Canberra, or been to Canberra and followed signs full of promise such as "Deakin Shops" will know that in virtually every suburb around the city there is the modern equivalent of the corner shop: a half block of shop fronts that will always house a grocer and maybe a cafe, take-away or a pharmacy. Though it is absolutely contrived I like the concerted attempt to foster (in some small way) a sense of small scale community. Every time I go for a bottle of milk I see the same faces, and they recognise me. It's nice to know that I'm not getting lost in the crowd.

This little dance studio is part of my local 'shops'. It's always interesting to walk past and see the girls in their black leotards doing moves I could never even dream of! Makes my walk and grocery run that little bit more fun and proves that sometimes enjoyment is closer to home than you think.

5 comments:

C.Moore.Run said...

This Canberra sounds so interesting, I think I'll have to add it to my list of places to visit

Fiona said...

I'm doing my job! Although, really, it is just where I get my milk from!

Julie said...

This is an interesting combination of image and text, Fiona. I like it when the main thrust comes from the text and the image is but a teaser.

Fiona said...

Thanks Julie. I'd initially chosen the pictures because I liked how the colours of the sign played off the warm colours of the leaves, and as I started typing it just kept going - I wasn't intending to write a novel, but there you go!

HelenR said...

Then you must live not far from me as I'm always at the Holder shops for the milk or bread I've run out of, or a coffee from the takeway at the opposite end to the dance studio you've mentioned.

I'm about to find out about Dare To Dance as my little girl may be starting there in the not too distant future.