Saturday, June 20, 2009

Rugby Saturday

It's another Rugby Union Saturday, and to commemorate the Wallabies taking on (and hopefully defeating) Italy in Melbourne I thought it would be appropriate to include a rugby related picture in today's post. Maybe it's just me, but rugby seems to be fairly well supported here in Canberra: almost every time I go to the shops I see a Brumbies sticker on the back of someone's car or someone wearing a jersey. I'm happy to say I'm one of their number. On the left is yours truly (proudly wearing my Brumbies jersey of course!) and on the right is my flatmate and awesome friend Georgie who I drag along to as many home games as I can (though this seems to be a relatively easy task).

Enjoy your weekend!

9 comments:

FSS said...

Being a Waratah fan, seeing this jersey hurts my eyes :) I agree with you, the good people of Canberra love their Brumbies! Wish it was the same in Sydney... Next season Georgie should get her own jersey ;)

Fiona said...

It will hurt them more next year I think ;) I like the community spirit vibe it gives, we're a tight-knit little group down here.

Fiona said...

ps: I totally should get her a jersey for Christmas!

Julie said...

I am not keen on any form of football. To me it just seems to be a cover for men behaving appallingly.

Fiona said...

As a fan or as a player? I'm curious.

Julie said...

Probably both ... but at the moment, as a player.

I agre that the behaviour both on-andf-off field of players echoes behaviour of that age group in society in general. But players are held up as role models, they get buckets of money and they are used to get bums on seats to games.

I think ARL in particular should simply be disbanded.

Fiona said...

God, those league boys make me so angry. And what's worse is that it's a culture that's so widespread, so obviously, somewhere along the line their top administration folk are complicit in it.

I guess I'm biased towards the code I support, but I guess here in Australia where Union isn't as popular or highly paid as some other codes, I see a lot less of the bad behaviour that is so readily exemplified in league (and AFL, even). I suppose it is present in some way, but I feel as though it's not a culture that produces or encourages thuggish behaviour, but like I said, I'm probably biased on that account!

(It also gives me a justifiable reason to yell at the top of my lungs for 80 minutes with absolute impunity!)

Julie said...

I probably agree with your general reasoning - but my son played rugby for a whild.

I agree that the administrators are complicit: that is apparent at Cronulla. It is the general blokey culture that uses/abuses women. It is the over-reliance on alcohol. It is the pathetic need to be dumb.

Fiona said...

Touche. It's nasty enough just watching it on tv, but to experience it at the coalface would be worse. I guess that's what happens when there are idiots in charge of idiots. But each to their own I say.