Sunday, July 5, 2009

Stranger in a strange land

The spectacular foyer of Parliament House is designed, through use of materials and architectural concept, to represent the European arrival in Australia (this sense of symbolism permeates the entire building). Using white, grey-green and black marble sourced from Italy, and flooded with natural light, the 48 pillars in the foyer represent the once vast eucalypt forests which greeted the first European arrivals to this land. If you look closesly, fossilised crustaceans can be seen in the surfaces of the black marble.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Strangers in a strange land of marble columns.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Belated welcome to city daily photo. Very interesting use of crustaceans.

Fiona said...

It is an ethereal experience Mandy

Fiona said...

Thank you for the welcome Babooshka. The little crustaceans were what fascinated me most about the place when I visited it as a child.

Julie said...

It is amazingly designed but ... I still harbour a massive affection for the old house down the road.

Fiona said...

They're both gorgeous spaces, and so reminiscent of the era's in which they were designed/built. I think I was reliving my childhood when I went there. The old house is definitely on my to-see-again list.