Thursday, July 16, 2009

Subterranean

Beyond Q Books in Curtin is less of a book shop than an experience. Housed beneath the unprepossessing Curtin shops, Beyond Q is a book lovers dream, filled with 3km worth of second hand books as well as ephemera so random it's cool - I picked up a daggy 80s style Wagga Wagga postcard for my flatmate the first time I visited. They also make surprisingly delicious coffee which is served to you in tankards while you sit on a Victorian chaise lounge. Add live jazz on weekends into the mix and it really is about two or three slices of heaven, not to mention their impressive display of original Popular Penguins which lines a full wall of the cafe. Only 10 minutes drive from my door, this is definitely my favourite Canberra haunt so far.

6 comments:

FSS said...

I was probably too busy checking out the books and I didn't really pay attention to the decoration :)

Ooooh heaven is a place on earth!

Fiona said...

Oh my gosh, next time you come we're seriously having coffee there, it's damn good, as good as KG (however minus Mr. H. Fullback - that's the only downside)...the lounge is hidden round the corner in the cafe...

Leif Hagen said...

That chair looks like it has/had several functions?? Guess I should focus on the coffee!

DelBoy said...

Sounds like heaven in a bookshop - good books, good coffee - what more is there!

Julie said...

Arrggghhh!!! The first house I ever bought - at the end of 1974 - was in Curtin.

If you think the shops are unprepossessing today ...

Fiona said...

Julie - I'm guessing they were virtually non-existent?! Thank god for this place, it's truly amazing. I think its location definitely adds to its mystique.

Leif - I was thinking the same thing!

Del - heaven x infinity!